Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Camazan Language

Camazan seems to exist and be cannon within the Witches's Thralls universe.
This means the rest of you will be exposed to my (likely limited) attempts to translate Camazan.
What I am currently trying to figure out is the best format it.
I have a friend who specializes in translating dead and fantasy languages (and is a teacher in this field) with whom I am going to consult on this once they do not seem excessively busy.

There is no escape.

Hobo is also way into fantasy languages but he
1) is not in here
2) thinks way the fuck harder about it than I ever would, like he knows the different pronunciation symbols the dictionary throws at you that I basically consider alien runes, he knows the patterns, he thinks about all of these things, and meanwhile I'm over here considering what the Camazan word for "cum" should be with all the depth of thought implied by the sentence "I mean, ooja makes me laugh 'cause it looks like 'splooge-a,' but uja would be how you actually spell it."

Information 
Fun fact there is now a whole second dialect of Camazan that uses the same language but more casual grammatical rules and a various contractions of language that a normal person would readily deem unwieldy or convoluted.

Chapters 4 and 5 have a lot of this, actually! “Ajre jo’ia” and“Go' ogre” are both examples of the more casual use and contraction, as (probably unsurprisingly) a young cave-dwelling mole girl isn't exactly concerned with precise formality.

As a matter of record:
  • Jo'ia is a slightly contracted johia, which is basically just a plural "they." Joh is intended to be a way to refer to friendly unknowns; "Ajre jo'ia" is Lori telling Lyselle, "help them."
  • "Go' ogre" is simply "no problem." Go' is an abbreviated form of gojre, shortened as such because "gojre ogre" is a bit silly and repetitive for such a likely-common equivalent to saying "you're welcome" in English, especially as every vowel only makes one sound in the language.
  • Similar to go' being a common contraction of gojre for "no," hi' can be used in place of hible for "yes." This shows up at least once by chapter 8.

There is also now a whole second language, Demonic. This is the one characters tend to be speaking unless declared otherwise or in a situation where assuming such would make zero contextual sense (ie. Terrans in America are probably not having conversations in Karnan Demonic). This language is still fledgling but a little more structured and considered thanks to a bit more experience and thought in this kind of construction.

Generally speaking, Demonic is the far more common language conversationally, while Camazan is broadly used mainly for spellcasting, where it is almost always formal. Its origins as a language being tied to the spirits and elements do make it more common among magically-aligned or particularly elemental creatures; fey and elves almost certainly at least know conversational Camazan, for example, whereas the typical demon witch will most commonly only know what they've studied for their spellcraft.

Also, genuine question:

Is figuring out the language half the fun, or would you rather just... know?

Hmm, let me put it this way.

Figuring out the language, trying to solve that puzzle, gathering the clues, was a ton of fun when I had the time to do it.
Which, in this context, my main interaction with Hamstah Powah / Shadows over Trelldain was when I was back in high school.

These days I have a lot less time on my hands.